This Blog is about Elder Hennessey's two year mission, in the Philippines Baguio Mission, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Monday, January 1, 2018

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!! 

I had a weird experience today, while emailing, my Mom chatted me telling me that my sisters were outside yelling "Happy New Years" to passing cars. It was strange cuz I had just celebrated the same event, same time, but about 14 hours earlier. It is now about 4 o'clock in the afternoon here, Power of time change, no? New Years here was fun, I think New Years was more of a national holiday than Christmas just because there were so few people today in the market it felt empty, probably only every 7th stall (shop) was open. Last night we stayed up with the rest of the Philippines until Midnight (the fireworks started at 6:30 once the sun went down). Once the clock struck 12 (on our nokia brick cellphone) the entire country burst into a roar of Fireworks, plastic Trumpets, pots and pans being banged together, car horns, yelling, and coins being thrown onto the floor (one of the cool New Years superstitions here. Another cool superstition here is that on the New Years eve you need 12 different kinds of fruit to be displayed, it will help your year to be "fruitful" or "mabunga" bunga=fruit(of your labors) and the ma makes it an adjective.

Bye Bye,

Have a fun Day!!!


Us helping sister Juvy Ann get her carienderia ready for grand opening on Jan 3.


 
Me pretending I have a Selfie stick like my cool companion Elder Aguirre, but no it’s just a broom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment